SNW vs. GET @ SMN (Series tied 0-0)
* For the first time in NW Cougars and Trailblazers history these two will meet. Although this could be the first of many meetings, it also is a first for former Hays Indians Head Coach Ryan Cornelson, to take on Bo Black, who succeeded him in 2014. This has only happened two other time's in Sunflower Football history a following year, with Chip Sherman of Olathe NW taking on Dustin Delaney at SM East in week-3 of 2013. The other being Gene Weir facing Bud Wheeler with Olathe South opening in 1981 vs. who was his Assistant Coach and taking over the Eagles from 1981 to 2002.
These are rare to happen where both Head Coaches who have started their teaching/coaching careers in the western side of the state meet in the northeast part of Johnson County five years later. That being said, Ryan Cornelson departed for the Hutchinson SaltHawks, and Bo Black to SM Northwest after leaving Hays, KS. In other news, Randy Dreiling is at St. Thomas Aquinas to cover all ground east of Hutchinson, KS who are all now in northeast Johnson County.
NWC Bo Black currently sits at 99 all-time wins, and 72 losses and looking for Win #100.
OSF vs. OWO @ ODAC (Series tied 0-0)
* The Falcons and Owls will meet in their very first intra-district match up, and will follow with many to come. With this being their first game, there will be a feeling period of play as the Olathe Football pool which at one time was only Olathe North and South has maxed out its reach geographically in the city.
OEH vs. Pittsburg @ ODAC (Series tied 0-0)
* The Hawks and Purple Dragons will meet for the first time in their history. While it seems odd for a non-conference game, the Purple Dragons are no strangers to playing against Johnson County and Wyandotte Football teams. Since 2010, they are 10-16 combined against the two counties as a whole.
Do not take the Purple Dragons lightly, as they are a very good program led by Tom Nickelson is 48-21 since taking over in 2011 to 2017. The Purple Dragons are 4-4 in 8 playoff games, and is 10-13 against the Johnson County high schools, all of which have been District games in seasons past. Those were against the Blue Valley Schools.
The BV North Mustangs lost a close game to the Purple Dragons 34-31 back in a non-conference week-3 match up on the road. For Pittsburg, this will be their first ever time playing at ODAC.
SMW vs. SMN @ SMS (SMW leads the series 33-21)
* At one time decades ago, the roost was ruled by Larry Taylor of SM North, and Dick Purdy, who began the Vikings run in to greatness, and was further built on by Harold Wambsgans, and Tim Callaghan of this modern era. The Vikings have dominated the series since Tim Callaghan took over in 2003. While he lost his first game in that 2-7 season, the Vikings have since won 11 in a row since 2004.
This could be a great game for the Indians if they can come out strong, but expect a good fight in the trenches by the Vikings from the first snap. A strong start from both will be all one team needs to keep up the momentum of the game. The Vikings will hope to snap a 16 game losing streak.
SME vs. LFS @ SMN (LFS leads the series 8-6)
* In perhaps one of the best regular season games to be played, the Firebirds and Lancers will again meet at SM North. The Lancers have struggled at SM North to defeat the Firebirds in their recent home games losing in 2013 (17-10) and 2015 (32-20). In an odd turn of scheduling events, and unbalanced scheduling, both have not faced each other during the 2016 and 2017 seasons.
This game will also be a new challenge for Bob Lisher taking on Justin Hoover in a great meeting of coaching minds that know the game inside and out.
Look for the Firebirds offense to test the Lancers defense early on, as this is the biggest home game of the season prior to closing out the season on the road at Olathe West.
LAW vs. ONE @ LAW (ONE leads the series 20-14)
* In recent times, the Chesty Lions have struggled against the Olathe North Eagles. While these two have played consistently and throughout seasons and not seeing breaks, the move to get to (.500) is not far away.
Steve Rampy will have his Chesty Lions ready to go against a revamped Eagles that went from 3-6 to 7-4 which is a great improvement. Steve Rampy is 2-4 all-time against the old-school Gene Weir Eagles, but now finds himself against a strong Eagles team under Chris McCartney. The Eagles will be out to prove themselves and seeking out a good seed in these final regular season weeks.
ONW vs. SMS @ CBAC (ONW leads the series 8-0)
* The Ravens and Raiders, will be meeting for their ninth all-time meeting. Any year, is a good year to end a streak. In 2017 the Raiders ended a 20 game losing streak against the Vikings, and can do so again this week against the Ravens and Coach Hafner.
This could be a big game for both teams as the Raiders look to end this losing streak against the Raven's and continue their momentum carried on from the beginning of the season.
Post a Comment