SME vs. SMS @ SMN (SMS leads the series 30-19-1)
* When SM South opened in 1966, the Raiders took many SM East athletes in to their new halls south of 95th and Mission Road. For literally two decades, the Raiders and Lancers found themselves in District play in week-9 fueling perhaps one of the best intra-district Football rivalries to this date. After a two year absences on the schedule, and a streak of 50 straight games ruined 24 months ago, this rivalry will once again reign true with local bragging rights as important as a game against Rockhurst.
Justin Hoover, will take SME, who are 9-1 against SM South in their last 10 games since 2007. While much of the Lancers talent has graduated in recent seasons, the Raiders will need to find a way to minimize turnovers, and find a way to get past the Lancers defense and secondary. That will not be easy as Brett Oberzan and his staff are rebuilding a roster that was once depleted in 2016.
LFS vs. SSC @ LFS (Series tied 0-0)
* The Free State Firebirds will play Sedalia Smith-Cotton for the first time ever in its 22 year year history. Like others you have noticed on the 2018 schedule in Lansing, Leavenworth, and Manhattan, it will be seen again in weeks 7 and 8. The love of unbalanced scheduling will haunt the SFL again in 2019.
SMW vs. OWO @ SMS (Series tied 0-0)
* For the first time since the 2004 Football season, the Vikings will see a new team on the schedule with the Owls. As this is now week-5, the Owls will be looking to solidify ground the best way they can looking for seeding in the 5A East bracket. Although it is still early to talk about it, will be important in the weeks to come. A late season win can push confidence forward in a good way if the Owls fall in line with a quality seeding of play.
The Vikings however are looking to end a 13 game losing streak that started in week-10 of the 2016 season.
SMN vs. OEH @ SMN (OEH leads the series 15-5)
* Olathe East will travel to SM North to face the Indians in which could be another tough stretch for SM North. The Eagles have dominated the series in recent history winning 10 straight games and ending games quickly as they have started in recent meetings. The last time these two met was in the 2015 season.
OSF vs. ONE @ ODAC (ONE leads the series 25-5)
* In the greatest rivalry of rivalries the Eagles and Falcons will meet for the 31st time after a season hiatus that they did not meet in 2017. The Falcons under Craig Lewis will look to end a five game losing streak dating back to 2012. Their last win came in 2010 in a week-11 playoff game led by former Head Coach Jeff Gourley.
For those that know this Olathe City rivalry dating back to its earliest of days it started in 1981 with Bud Wheeler leaving the Olathe Eagles to open South, and Gene Weir taking over the Eagles in which many county and city wide would say the "rest is history."
LAW vs. SNW @ LAW (LAW leads the series 21-14)
* The new look Chesty Lions under Steve Rampy will host the NW Cougars in which should be a very good game. Although both teams have lost a lot of talented kids this past Fall, look for NW to continue to keep building on their previous work. The Chesty Lions are 4-6 in their last 10 meetings against the Cougars since Bo Black has taken over.
The Cougars are coming off a tough loss to the Lancers, while the Chesty Lions got their first win for Steve Rampy.
ONW vs. GET @ CBAC (GET leads the series 3-0)
* The Trailblazers have a small, yet dominate 3 game advantage over the Ravens in their small history. Most all of these games all came under the old schedule format as a District game. This will be a good test for the Ravens to come away with a win a home against a young Trailblazers program.
The Trailblazers look to continue their early success entering the Sunflower League in which the same occurred in 2010 as the EKL was taken by storm as well with quality success on the field of play.