LVP vs. SNW @ LVP (SNW leads the series 26-6)
* While the Pioneers and Cougars are no strangers to each other, this will be their first ever non-conference Football game.
Coach Mark Littrell will host the Cougars, in which he would like to consider this an upset to slow down the Cougars early start after a week-1 game against SM West. This will be Bo Black's first meeting against the Pioneers in his fourth year with the Cougars.
The Cougars are off to a solid start with a defeat against the Vikings, while the Pioneers had a rough night against a powerful DeSoto Wildcats Football program. Should the Cougars prevail again in week-2, it will be a big step forward before moving on to another well-coached team in the Olathe South Falcons next week.
SMS vs. SMW @ SMS (SMW leads the series 36-23-1)
* In surprising fashion, Brett Oberzan's 2017 Raiders defeated the Vikings, ending both a 20 game losing streak, and Tim Callaghan's first loss against the Raiders in 14 tries all-time giving him a 13-1 record. That Raiders losing streak dated from 1997 to 2016 spanning five Coaches.
Can the Raiders to the same again in 2018? It will be a tough task, as they will have to take on Vikings QB CJ Callagahan coming off a loss in week-1 to the Cougars.
With those games under his belt, he will look to lead his offense to much greener pasteur's after last years winless season. This is one of the most historic rivalries in the SMSD-5 Football programs that flourished in the 1960s and 70s. This week, the Vikings will look to rebound against another district foe in the Raiders while currently on an 11 game losing streat.
ONE vs. SMN @ ODAC (ONE leads the series 22-2)
* In a very lopsided series the Eagles have dominated the SM North Indians. If you are wondering who those two wins belong to at SM North, that would be former Head Coaches Sam Brown and Ben Bartlett.
Enter Zach Rampy, in his first year, as it is the Indians goal to reverse these fortunes and rebuild a once strong and powerful Indians Football history.
While it will take time, facing the Eagles will be a great test early on to see the progress not only from 2017 but the work ethic instilled in this young Indians team. Olathe North has been known for decades to own the ODAC home field (which they do) but this could be a great game for the Indians on the road.
LFS vs. OEH @ LFS (LFS leaders the series 11-9)
* In a tightly contested match up, the Firebirds and Hawks look to renew a great rivalry as the Firebirds compete very well against the Olathe #233.
In their last two meetings the Firebirds have dominated against Jesse Owen's defense. With the Firebirds coming off of three-straight losses to Derby, restarting their season on a great note in preparation for the 6A-West bracket is a goal to accomplish from week to week.
GET vs. OWO @ GET (Series tied 0-0)
* The Trailblazers, and Owls will meet for the first time in Sunflower League history. With both programs new to each other, in addition to Coaches who have yet to face each other this will only help both programs moving forward and growing as a program.
Look for the Trailblazers to continue to stay hot after a big win, and their first Sunflower win against a strong SM East Football team. The Owls, while being shutout in their first will continue to build and make strides early on in the season.
ONW vs. OSF @ CBAC (OSF leads the series 12-1)
* Week-2 of this Sunflower League marks another lopsided series in which the Falcons have dominated the Ravens since the 2004 season.
Coach Craig Lewis will bring his much improved Falcons and a 1-0 record against Coach Aaron Hafner's young Raven's. The Falcons are 9-1 in their last 10 games since 2006 and will look to continue that record forward until the Raven's can find a way to knock the Falcons off their nest.
The Ravens won 31 to 0 in the 2015 season under Chip Sherman, and last season in 2017, defeated the Raven's 21-7 in week-2.
For the Falcons Birdhouse, I expect it to be a loud night in the stands!
LAW vs. SME @ LAW (LAW leads the series 32-14)
* For the first time since 2001 Steve Rampy will face the SM East Lancers. At that time, current SM South Principal Todd Dain led the Lancers in his second season.
Today, both Steve Rampy, and Justin Hoover will face each other for the very first time.
Both have made their own impact's at prior schools and will now take on new challenged in the Sunflower League. SM East is 7-3 in their last 10 games against the Chesty Lions and look to build on that strength of play from their previous seasons.