6A - EAST
1) SME vs. 16) GET @ SM North (SME leads the series 3-0)
* Entering week-9, the Lancers and Trailblazers will meet up for the fourth time since the week-10 game in the 2016 playoffs. The Trailblazers are no strangers to playing the Lancers with their three games starting in 2014. While the Trailblazers were successful last season in pressuring the Lancers, this could be a tougher task to defeat a strong SM East offense led by Andy Maddux and Milton Braasch III.
8) SMS vs. 9) ONW @ SM South (ONW leads the series 7-0)
* For the first time ever in Raiders, and Ravens Football histories, they will meet in back-to-back games. Last week, the Raiders hosted Olathe Northwest in week-8 and ended the regular season with a tough loss. There is no secret the Ravens were much bigger than the Raiders on the field. For the Raiders to score they will need to cut down on turnovers, and excel as they did on Special Teams scoring a big touchdown against the Ravens special teams kickoff team.
4) BVN vs. 13) SMN @ SWIDAC (SMN leads the series 6-5)
* The SM North Indians are in for a tough game against a well-coached Mustangs Football team on the rise. SM North has been hit hard by the loss of Will Schneider and have felt those effects all season long. In due time the Indians will regroup and retool as Ben Bartlett has talent on his team that is looking to continue to grow and play well in the future. Road games are never easy in any Johnson County location as most home teams are always favored. SM North last played on the road at SWIDAC (BV Northwest) against BV North in 2007.
5) OEH vs. 12) DOT @ CBAC (First meeting, never met 0-0)
* The last time the Olathe East Hawks faced a school from Wyandotte County was 1999. Although that team was the Washington Wildcats, the Wyandotte Bulldogs have a tough task on their hands taking on a young, and talented Hawks offense. Playing the Bulldogs can position the Hawks for a run deep in to the playoffs with consistent play on offense, and defense alone. The Bulldogs will struggle to keep up throughout the game.
2) BVT vs. 15) SMW @ Blue Valley (BVT leads the series 2-0)
* While the BV Tigers are no strangers to 6A opponents, finding Sunflower opponents since the Fall of 2000 to present day is rare. Having met SM East, and SM South many times, playing the SM West Vikings has only occurred twice. In 2009, and 2015, the Tigers defeated the Vikings both times in week-10 of the playoffs. Alan Terrill, will be following Steve Rampy, and Eric Driskell in playing a rare and down season for the Vikings Football program.
7) SNW vs. 10) OSF @ SM North (OSF leads the series 20-14)
* In the last 10 games, the Falcons lead the series 6-4 against the upstart Cougars. In recent seasons, the Falcons and Cougars have been off of each others radar’s throughout the regular season schedules fom 2014 to 2016. In 2010, 12, and 13, the Falcons have won each game since the start of the 2010 season. This will be a great match up of two evenly matched teams and probably one of the best of the 6A East first round games.
3) ONE vs. 14) BVW @ ODAC (TEAM leads the series 0-3)
* In another rare 6A game, the Eagles will be taking on the Jaguars at ODAC. With only two games to their lineage, the 2004 Jaguars under former Coach Scott Wright lost in a week-12 game at ODAC. Five seasons later in 2008, and 09 the two met again in District play with two more losses. While it is easy to chose Olathe North for a possible fourth win, the Jaguars are motivated to get a second win after finishing the regular season with two quality games against Gardner-Edgerton, and the SJ Academy Thunder.
6) LAW vs. 11) BNW @ Lawrence (LAW leads the series 1-0)
* Lawrence’s Dirk Wedd is entering his final post-season run and have an unlikely and rare match up vs. the BV Northwest Huskies. Although a new Head Coach is new to the area in Clint Rider, he will get his Huskies to play a strong game. During the 2004 playoffs, the Chesty Lions and Huskies met for the very first time in a week-10 game. The Chesty Lions won 17-0.
Week-9 – Round 1 of Playoffs – 6A West
1) Free State 16) Wichita North @ Free State (First meeting, never met 0-0)
* This will be the first time the Firebirds have met the Redskins on the 6A-West side of the bracket. In an unfortunate draw, the Redskins will have a very, very tough draw in front of them. Since the start of the 2010 season, the Redskins have fell on the short end of the draw inside of the City League of Wichita (GWAL.) Over those eight (8) total seasons, the program has amassed five (5) wins and 70 losses.
Week-9 – Round 1 of Playoffs – 5A West
5) Shawnee Heights vs. 12) Leavenworth @ Shawnee Heights (Series tied 2-2)
* Should the Leavenworth Pioneers defeat the T-Birds in which has been a very rare meeting, they could face #4 St. James Academy Thunder, or #13 Lansing Lions with a winning result. In four total games, from 1990 to 1993 the Pioneers and T-Birds played in some very late district games of the old KSHSAA format. The T-Birds could come away with the W having won two of their last three games prior to week-9.