LAW 35 vs LSW 49
LFS 21 vs PHT 16
LVP 6 vs NKC 27
OEH 13 vs LIB 34
ONE 7 vs BSS 50
ONW 23 vs LSN 24
OSF 15 vs LST 28
SME 17 vs ROC 21
SMN 29 vs LAN 20
SNW 36 vs GRA 29
SMS 0 vs WTG 7 - OT
SMW 0 vs BSW 42
In an unprecedented turn of events in 2016 the Sunflower League Football programs O-ffered (0-10) against the Suburban League in all 10 gridiron games. Can 2017 change that course of events? Only the SM North Indians managed the non-conference win against the Lansing Lions, while the Lancers lost on the road at Rockhurst (0-11) overall.
Below are the listings and locations of game fields for week-3 to take place. With only the Lancers, and Hawklets having a game history against each other, many of the Sunflower Football programs had yet to face a team in Missouri since SM Northwest was built in 1969. Outside of all of the SMSD-5 Football programs all playing Rockhurst at one time or another in their past, the Cougars played the Winnetonka Griffins going 3-1 from 1975 to 1978.
The Lawrence Chesty Lions, and Shawnee-Mission Indians were fortunate to play in a league decades ago with a handful of Missouri schools and both faced the William Chrisman Bears in the mid-1930's!
Lawrence vs Lee's Summit West (LSW leads the series 1-0) @ Lawrence
* In another great game, the Chesty Lions and Titans will meet for round two. The 2016 Titans gave up a touchdown last year at home in a 28-7 route. This should be a great night in Lawrence with both the Titans and Trojans attempting to come out winners in this non-conference battle week-3.
Free State vs Park Hill (PHT leads the series 1-0) @ Free State
* Coach Josh Hood's Trojans are off to a fast start averaging 44 PPG, and could prove to be a thorn in the Firebirds side. While this game will not mean all that much in the overall Sunflower table it could set the Firebirds back. This will be the first time the Trojans will find themselves in the State of Kansas for a game dating back to the 70s of the original Sunflower League era. While at home, Bob Lisher can use this to his advantage and split the series carrying over in to week-4.
Leavenworth vs North Kansas City (NKC leads the series 1-0) @ Leavenworth
* Can the Pioneers continue on their current streak? The Hornets are struggling big time at 0-4, and are looking for their first win of the season. The edge goes to the Pioneers if they can keep going strong prior to their week-4 game against the SM South Raiders.
Olathe East vs Liberty (Liberty leads the series 1-0) @ Liberty
* The Hawks are coming off a big win over their district rivals the ON Eagles. Can this carry over to a powerful Liberty Bluejays Football program? This game will prove to be a tough go from the kickoff as Liberty has proven to play well in their new digs, and as advertised is a beautiful new stadium to play.
Olathe North vs Blue Springs South (BSS leads the series 1-0) @ Blue Springs South
* For two schools with traditionally strong Football programs, both teams are looking to find their identity on the field of play. Under second year Coach and alumni Jon Oyler, returning the Jaguars to regular season dominance is a weekly goal.
Olathe Northwest vs Lee's Summit North (LSN leads the series 1-0) @ LS North
* In only their second meeting, the Ravens and Broncos will meet in their history. This game is a break that the Ravens will need to get a win prior to resuming SFL play in week-4.
Olathe South vs Lee's Summit (LST leads the series 1-0) @ Lee's Summit
* While Coach Craig Lewis is no stranger to the Lees Summit Tigers, the Falcons will meet them for the second time in the history of the program. This game will be another strong suit that could fit the Falcons for a win while the Tigers finally found the win column in week-4 over the Columbia Rock Bridge Bruins. If the Falcons can come away with a win, it will be a great momentum swing for the Falcons entering the middle of their schedule.
SM East vs Rockhurst @ SM North (First time hosting since 1981; Rock leads 9-3)
* In their second meeting since the 1982 season (34 years) the Lancers look to avenge their road loss and multiple turnover game in their home at Larry Taylor Field. Rockhurst knows how this works, and will come out fast looking to score and maintain possession away from the Lancers offense. This will be a great game for Lancers the SM East offense to make a statement and defeat the Hawklets. Below is the game history since the 1965 season.
SM East vs. Rockhurst Hawklets
Arch Unruh (2-1, 3, 333) - Last 10 games played
65-7 W 35-27 2-1 1-0
Glen Percy (1-3, 4, 250)
75-8 W 7-6 3-1 2-0
76-8 L 6-12 3-2 2-1
77-8 L 15-22 3-3 2-2
78-8 L 7-13 3-4 2-3
Harold Wambsgans (0-2, 2, 250)
79-3 L 6-7 3-5 2-4
80-3 L 9-26 3-6 2-5
Emerson Wilson (0-2, 2, 000)
81-3 L 0-27 3-7 2-6
82-3 L 14-34 3-8 2-7
Dustin Delaney (0-1, 2, 000+)
vs. Tony Severino (1-0, 1, 1.000+)
16-3 L-8 20-26 3-9 2-817-3
SM North vs Lansing (LAN leads the series 1-0) @ Lansing
* In the second of two games not including a Suburban foe, the Indians will meet up with the Lions, only this time of Lansing coming off a big win over the Bishop Ward Cyclones in week-2. SM North should bring a stronger competition from the start and should be able to defeat a very confident youthful Lions Football program.
SM Northwest vs Grandview (GRA leads the series 1-0) @ Grandview
* The Bulldogs are 1-3 in all games played, with a win over the PH South Panthers in week-2. This is a good chance for the Cougars to take advantage of this game and get in the win column.
SM South vs Winnetonka (WIN leads the series 1-0) @ SM South
* This is perhaps a game that can solidify the Raiders coming back on to the SFL scene and in a strong way. The Griffins have struggled early on to keep up with their opponents giving up an average of 52.2 PPG. With the win against the Indians in week-1, confidence will be a great factor on the field, and sidelines with improvement from Brett Oberzan's Raiders.
SM West vs Blue Springs (BSW leads the series 1-0) @ Blue Springs
* The Vikings reverse their fortune after a slow 0-2 start? The unusually cold Blue Springs Wildcats are 2-2 to start the season in the Suburban League.